What if I am involved in an accident?
If you have an accident, there are several things you should do immediately that will help your claim be settled quickly and with minimal hassle:
- It’s very important to report the claim immediately to the claims department of you insurance company
- Do not leave the scene of the accident.
- Contact the police immediately to report the accident.
- Use the accident information card provided with your policy paperwork to exchange information with all other drivers.
- Do not admit fault or discuss your insurance coverage.
- If possible, use a cell phone or digital camera to take photos of the accident scene and damage to all vehicles.
Does everyone have to have auto insurance?Yes..........Auto liability insurance or proof of financial responsibility is required in all 50 states. Although each state sets their own limits on how much insurance is needed, these are only minimum limits and in most cases additional coverage is needed if you don’t want to have to pay additional expenses out of pocket. If you have a lease or loan on your car, the lender usually requires you to have comprehensive and collision coverage in addition to the state-required liability coverage. In most lease agreements the liability limits required by the lessor is usually 100/300 liability limits.